Basin Electric’s core business is generating and transmitting wholesale bulk electric power to customers, primarily to our member rural electric systems, which are located in nine states.
- A not-for-profit generation and transmission cooperative incorporated in 1961 to provide supplemental power to a consortium of rural electric cooperatives
- Diverse energy portfolio: coal, gas, oil, distributed, and renewable energy, including wind power
- Consumer owned by 131 member cooperative systems
- Serves 3 million electric consumers
- Members' service territories comprise 550,000 square miles in nine states
- At end of year 2021, Basin Electric operates 5,222 megawatts (MW) of wholesale electric generating capability and has 7,263 MW of capability within its resource portfolio
- Operates 11 maintenance shop output locations in 4 states
- Owns 2,497 miles and maintains 2,537 miles of high-voltage transmission
- Owns and/or maintains substation equipment in 94 locations and has equipment ownership in 18 additional locations
- Owns and maintains telecommunications equipment at 213 telecommunication sites
Data updated March 2022.