Basin Electric’s core business is generating and transmitting wholesale bulk electric power to customers, primarily to our member rural electric systems, which are located in nine states.
- A not-for-profit generation and transmission cooperative incorporated in 1961 to provide supplemental power to a consortium of rural electric cooperatives
- Diverse energy portfolio: coal, gas, oil, distributed, and renewable energy, including wind power
- Consumer owned by 131 member cooperative systems
- Serves 2.9 million electric consumers
- Members' service territories comprise 550,000 square miles in nine states
- At end of year 2020, Basin Electric operates 5,199 megawatts (MW) of wholesale electric generating capability and has 7,025 MW of capability within its resource portfolio
- Operates 11 maintenance shop output locations in 4 states
- Owns 2,513 miles and maintains 2,536 miles of high-voltage transmission
- Owns and/or maintains substation equipment in 90 locations and has equipment ownership in 17 additional locations
- Owns and maintains telecommunications equipment at 217 telecommunication sites
Statistics updated June 23, 2021.