Basin Electric hosts visitors at our facilities to educate them about how energy is made and our role in providing energy to our member cooperatives.
Tours are offered Tuesdays-Thursdays, between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Central Time. They are free of charge, but advance appointments are required. To request a tour, email email@example.com or call Basin Electric Headquarters at 701-223-0441.
Our most popular tour destinations are Antelope Valley Station & the Great Plains Synfuels Plant in North Dakota; Dry Fork Station and Laramie River Station in Wyoming; and Deer Creek Station in South Dakota. We can also help arrange tours of The Coteau Properties Company Freedom Mine, which is adjacent to Antelope Valley & the Synfuels Plant.
Please note: Tours are unavailable at Antelope Valley the first two business days of the month.
We have adopted security guidelines for international and domestic tour guests at all of our facilities.
- International tour visitors are required to submit a “Foreign/National On-Site Tour Request” 30 days prior to their planned visit.
- This allows time to process the necessary information and to satisfy the procedures set in place to ensure a safe and secure visit for each group while protecting critical infrastructure.
Requirements of tour participants
To be able to fully participate in these tours, your tour guests should be able to:
- Stand for up to 30 minutes in the Great Plains Synfuels Plant & Antelope Valley Station model rooms.
- Navigate stairs and steel grating without canes, walkers, crutches, walking boots, or any other aide that may be a tripping hazard.
- Withstand temperatures in excess of 100 degrees for up to 10 minutes.
- Ride in bumpy, off-road conditions for up to 90 minutes.
- Wear closed-toe shoes (no flip-flops or high heels).
Tour guests who cannot fully participate will be given opportunities to stay behind in a seating area.