Basin Electric’s core business is generating and transmitting wholesale bulk electric power to customers, primarily to our member rural electric systems, which are located in nine states.
- A not-for-profit generation and transmission cooperative incorporated in 1961 to provide supplemental power to a consortium of rural electric cooperatives
- Diversified energy portfolio of dispatchable and non-dispatchable resources. Dispatchable resources have a readily available fuel supply to power their generation, whereas non-dispatchable resources rely on intermittent, renewable fuel and produce electricity when weather conditions are right.
- Consumer owned by 141 member cooperative systems
- Serves 3 million electric consumers
- Members' service territories comprise 550,000 square miles in nine states
- At end of year 2022, Basin Electric operated 5,219 megawatts (MW) of wholesale electric generating capability and had 7,384 MW of generating capacity within its resource portfolio
- Operates 11 maintenance shop output locations in 4 states
- Owns 2,526 miles and maintains 2,565 miles of high-voltage transmission
- Owns and/or maintains substation equipment in 89 locations and has equipment ownership in 16 additional locations
- Owns and maintains telecommunications equipment at 224 telecommunication sites
Data updated April 2023.